To follow the guidelines of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrence Regulations (RIDDOR) and EYFS for reporting accidents and incidents.
Child Protection and Behavioural Incidents have a separate procedure to this policy.
All staff that work with the children have current Paediatric First Aid training.
Accidents at Home
We record any accidents that children come into preschool with from home in the Bumps and Bruises book.
If a child has an injury at preschool we record the incident on an Accident form by the member of staff that witnessed the accident.
The form will have the following information on it;
- Childs name
- What happened and any care given
- Time and date of the incident
- In the case of a bump to the head, we also telephone the parent to inform them what has happened as well as record on paper.
The accident form is filed in the Accident folder, which is located in the filing cabinet.
The accident folder is reviewed every half term to identify any potential or actual hazards.
Reporting of Major accidents or Incidents
Ofsted (0300 123 1231) will be notified within 14 days of any serious instances which involve;
- Food poisoning affecting two or more children in our care
- The death of a child in our care
- A serious accident or injury
We complete an Incident Report form in the case of a major incident;
These may include
- A break in or theft of personal or the preschool property
- A flood, fire, gas leak or electrical failure
- An attack on a member of staff
The Incident report form will record the date and time of the incident, nature of the event, who was affected, actions taken. These forms are kept in the filing cabinet.