In the event that a child is not collected by an authorised adult by their expected collection time, we put into practice agreed procedures. The child will receive a high standard of care in order to cause as little distress as possible.
We inform parents/carers of our procedures so that, if they are unavoidably delayed, they will be reassured that their children will be properly cared for.
- Parents are asked to provide the following specific information when their child starts attending our setting, which is:
- Home address and telephone number – if the parents do not have a telephone, an alternative number must be given, perhaps a neighbour or close relative.
- Mobile telephone number (if applicable).
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers of adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child from the preschool for example a child minder or grandparent.
- Who has parental responsibility for the child.
- Information about any person who does not have legal access to the child.
- On occasions when parents, or the persons normally authorised to collect the child, are not able to collect the child, they provide us with details of the name, of the person who will be collecting their child. We agree with parents how to verify the identity of the person who is to collect their child.
- Parents are informed that if they are not able to collect the child as planned, they must inform us so that we can begin to take back-up measures. Our contact telephone number is 01297 639329.
- If a child is not collected at their expected collection time, we follow the procedures below:
- The child’s file is checked for any information about changes to the normal collection routines.
- If no information is available, parents/carers are contacted at home or at work.
- If this is unsuccessful, the adults who are authorised by the parents to collect their child – and whose telephone numbers are recorded on the registration form are contacted.
- All reasonable attempts are made to contact the parents or nominated carers.
- The child does not leave the premises with anyone other than those named on the registration form or in their file.
- If no-one collects the child within one hour of their expected collection time and there is no-one who can be contacted to collect the child, we apply the procedures for uncollected children.
- We contact MASH
|0345 155 1071|
- The child stays at preschool in the care of two of our fully-vetted workers, one of whom will be the Early Years Room Manager or Early Years Deputy until the child is safely collected either by the parents or by a social care worker.
- Social care will aim to find the parent or relative. If they are unable to do so, the child will become looked after by the local authority.
- Under no circumstances will we go to look for the parent, nor leave the preschool premises with the child.
- We ensure that we do not discuss our concerns in front of the child.
- A full written report of the incident is recorded in the child’s file.
- Depending on circumstances, we reserve the right to charge parents for the additional hours worked.
- Ofsted may be informed:
0300 123 1231